Not to be confused with Neosporin (a triple antibiotic salve present in most first aid kits across North America), Nutrasporin is a non-toxic and petroleum-free first aid ointment suitable for treating scrapes, burns, rashes, infections, stings, bites, cold sores and other skin irritations in no time. Its secret? Once again: Chelated silver oxide. According to Dr. Grune, bacteria (like mold and mildew) need three things to grow: water, food, and a substrate (a surface to which microbes can attach themselves). If one of these components is not present, bacteria can no longer thrive. Silver oxide eliminates the substrate, thereby getting rid of the bad bacteria without upsetting the ones that maintain your immune system.
I have been using this natural antibiotic-free ointment on a small incision area I got from a minor surgery on my leg a few weeks back. According to my physician, it is in a difficult-to-heal area (just above my inner ankle) that seemed to not be getting any better. However, after applying Nutrasporin a couple of times a day for several days, I am finally noticing that my wound is starting to heal.